The ASIC Indore – Knee pain Service is comprised of a team of orthopaedic surgeons with a subspecialty in knee surgery who develop a treatment plan tailored to each individual patient’s needs.
About Knee Pain
Knee pain is one of the most common musculoskeletal complaint that brings people to their doctor. With today’s increasingly active society, the number of knee problems is increasing. Knee pain has a wide variety of causes and treatments.
Knee pain can be accompanied by :
Swelling :- Gross or localised within the joint (effusion)
Increased Local temp. :- Local warmth over & around swelling is indicative of increased inflammatory response which can be due to infection, inflammatory disorders/ immune complex disorders and many more.
Instability :- Feeling of giving way which is mostly due to torn/ injured ligaments (partly/complete) is accompanied by pain at the time of instability episode.
Locking :- Unable to straighten the knee completely : mostly due to torn meniscal fragment, loose body or rarely foreign body.
Snapping sounds :- may be due unstable knee cap/ Patella bone or due undue pivoting in case of ACL deficient knee, meniscal tears etc.
When to see a Doctor:
- If you have severe knee pain that is associated with an injury
- If you have marked knee swelling
- If you are unable to bear weight over your knee or if you feel as if your knee will give way out : Instability
- If you are unable to fully extend or flex your knee : Locked knee
- If you see a deformity around your knee or leg : Fracture / Dislocation
- If you have a fever, in addition to redness, pain and swelling in your knee.